Vertical Step Marathon is a private competition aimed mainly for climbers in the 16+ age category, according to its own rules, established by the organizers and made public on the event website. We accept the participation of juniors with a minimum age of 12 in order to gain experience. A separate category will be created for them.
- Rookie women / Rookie men – amateur climbers of basic level, who generally climb up to grade 6c (lead climbing routes, after work), having a minimum age of 16 years.
- Open women / Open men – intermediate and advanced climbers, who frequently climb above grade 6c (climbing routes, at work), with a minimum age of 16 years. Participants between the ages of 12 and 15 who consider they have the appropriate level, can register and participate in the OPEN category and will abide by the rules of this category – with the mention that only competitors who have 16 years old can enter the Finals.
- Juniors – participants between 12 and 15 years old, who want to participate in the competition with the aim of gaining experience on the same routes and in the same time slot intended for the ROOKIE category. Participants in this category must be 12 years old at the time of the event, and less than 16 years old.
- Participants who in one of the previous editions of the Vertical Step Marathon occupied one of the first 3 places in the Rookie category, have the right to register and participate in this category, they will be able to see the accumulated points, but without scoring in the contest ranking. They can opt to participate in the OPEN and will score in the ranking of this category with full rights.
- FRAE-licensed athletes who participate in National Cups and Championships, from the official FRAE circuit, cannot register and participate in the ROOKIE category. This rule also applies to athletes from outside Romania, participants in the national competitive circuit from their country of origin. Depending on their level and age, they can participate in one of the JUNIOR or OPEN categories.
- Participants aged between 12 and 15 years, who believe they have the appropriate level, can register and participate in the OPEN category and will be circumscribed by the rules of this category – with the mention that only the competitors who are 16 years old can access the Final of the OPEN category.
- The JUNIOR category will have its own ranking only if there are at least 5 juniors per category – girls/boys. Juniors cannot participate in two categories – Juniors and Open and cannot enter the ROOKIE classification.
Registration in any of these categories is a personal choice, but the organizers reserve the right to reject the registration of participants in a specific category if it is evident that the conditions outlined in the previous paragraphs are not adhered to.
MAXIMUM NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS – 140
To organize a quality event and for each of you to have a memorable experience, the maximum number of participants is limited to 140.
Participants from all categories will be divided into 2 mixed series – women and men. Each series will be allocated a maximum number of 35 places. To avoid overcrowding in the slot allocated to a particular series, we reserve the right to moderate entries so that there is a balanced distribution of participants across all series.
- Series 1 Rookie/Juniors & Series 1 Open – these categories perform simultaneously. Juniors constitute a distinct category but will compete simultaneously on the same routes designated for the Rookie category. Series 1 is scheduled for the initial time slot in the morning on both competition days.
- Series 2 Rookie/Juniors & Series 2 Open – these categories perform simultaneously. Juniors constitute a distinct category but will compete simultaneously on the same routes designated for the Rookie category. Series 2 will have the second time slot allocated during the afternoon on both days of the competition.
- Rookie and Juniors will compete in lead climbing on day 1 and bouldering on day 2. Open will compete in bouldering on day 1 and lead climbing on day 2.
IMPORTANT!! The chosen series cannot be changed after registration. There is a limited possibility to make changes after the online registration closes, within the limits of available places and in the order of requests received.
CERTIFICATE OF PARTICIPATION FOR MINORS
For minors, participation in the event is possible only on the basis of the Certificate of Participation. Download the Certificate
PARTICIPATION FEES (payment by card or bank transfer)
- Earlybird: until March 8th – 150 lei
- Regular: from March 9th to March 14th – 170 lei
- Last call: March 15th, 16th, 17th (payable in cash on the spot) – 190 lei
PAYMENT OF THE PARTICIPATION FEE IS MANDATORY FOR VALIDATION OF REGISTRATION
Participants are not obliged to score in the ranking nor to participate in both disciplines – bouldering & lead climbing, but this does not exempt them from the obligation to register and pay the participation fee (same for everyone).
The registration fee is not returned in case of non-participation!
For each separate category, the bouldering and lead climbing tests will take place on different days, and the participants will be divided into two series. For OPEN, the bouldering will be held on day 1 and the lead climbing on day 2. For ROOKIE the bouldering will be held on day 2 and the lead climbing on day 1.
FULL RULES WILL BE PUBLISHED SOON. THANK YOU FOR UNDERSTANDING!
Engaging in sport climbing and bouldering entails inherent risks that may result in various injuries, severe bodily harm, or death. Lack of knowledge, non-compliance, or disregard for safety rules and techniques specific to this sport can lead to accidents with particularly serious consequences for individuals involved. Participants in the Vertical Step Marathon who are 18 years or older assume these risks voluntarily throughout the event and bear full responsibility for any accidents and their consequences, whether caused by them or not.
For minors, participation is permitted only with the written consent of parents or legal guardians and under their supervision or that of a coach/instructor authorized by them. The entire responsibility for the safety of minors during the Vertical Step Marathon lies with the parent/legal guardian or accompanying coach/instructor.
Participants have the freedom to choose their partner in the lead climbing section (the one securing the climber). Both the climber and the belayer bear sole responsibility for any incidents that may occur.
During the competition, climbing grips may rotate (due to the force applied) or break (due to manufacturing defects). The organizers are not liable for such incidents and their consequences (injury, harm, or death of those involved). All climbing equipment, materials, or holds used in the Vertical Spirit climbing room, including the Vertical Step Marathon, are procured from certified manufacturers and utilized in accordance with prevailing safety rules and regulations.